We have over twenty 3D printers available to FSU students and staff for free. We do have some policies and procedures for 3d printing, they are listed below.
- You cannot 3D print weapons, or something that could be mistaken as a weapon.
- No drug paraphernalia.
- Our printers are not for commercial use, we limit the amount of times you may print the same design to 3
- Printing is included for students.. but please be considerate of others.
- Reccomended Infill is between 10%-20%.
- Models need to be sliced with the correct printing profiles.
- We prioritize 3d prints that are academic or for class projects. If printers are in high demand, non academic prints will be pushed to the back of the queue. Other than that, we work on a first-come first-served basis.
- Do not touch or handle prints that are not yours.
- We don't remove supports for students, you are expected to learn how to remove your own supports. Help is available upon request.
- Do not take supports off of prints that do not belong to you.
- Clean up after yourself. PLA plastic goes into the blue recycling bin by the 3d printers. All stations should be neat, clean and organized when you leave.
- If using glue, use the gluing mat.
- If a printer is out of filament or something is wrong with your 3D print, grab an intern. Do not attempt to fix the problem yourself.
- Please do not attempt to remove 3D prints from the printers, Interns will remove them and place them in the common area for students to pick up.
We have one laser cutter available inside the fablab. It is capable of cutting wood, acrylic, eva foam, rubber, and other laserable plastics. If you are not sure about cutting a material please ask one a fablab staff memeber.
- If using the laser cutter, you must be in the FabLab until the design is finished. Leaving the laser cutter running unsupervised is a fire hazard.
- Make sure the fan is always on.
- Don't look at the laser.
- Always consult with FabLab interns before cutting material - some things will produce poisonous gas which is harmful to the respiratory system.
- The laser cutter has a maximum capacity of 24" x 12" and can cut up to 1/4" thick.
The Vinyl Express cutter/plotter is located in the middle of the fablab. We have a limited stock of vinyl, so we cannot guarantee to have any given color.
- The vinyl cutter only cuts one color at a time.
- The vinyl cutter is not a printer - it’s a cutter. We cut sheets of vinyl into specific shapes.
- Use caution when using the exacto knife - always use a cutting mat and cut away from yourself
- Always put the vinyl rolls back where you found them and tape them down. Same thing goes for transfer tape.
We have a electronics workstation inside the fablab. It includes a soldering station, solder vaccum, smoke absorber, Raspberry pi B+ kits, Arduino uno kits, and many misc electronic components.
- When using our raspberry pi or arduino kits please check them out with a staff member, these are for use while inside the innovation hub and are not to be taken home.